Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 6: I pet a Koala

So Tanya had to work all this week because, you know, she is a grown up, and has responsibilities and stuff, but luckily Sam was able to take the week off so that I could play with her and the girls. She picked me up at Tanya's house around ten, and then she took Natalie, Eliza, Bonnie (Natalie's friend) and me to Featherdale Wildlife Park. We had SO much fun. Childhood dreams were made real, and we were able to bond and become great friends, the Bertoni's and I, and Bonnie was a delightful girl so I'm glad I was able to spend a few days with her.


So this is me petting a Koala. I don't know how many of you know this, but this has honestly been one of my dreams since I was in probably the second grade or so. Every time we had to do an animal report (which seemed to be every year) I would always pick the Koala. I don't know whether it was because of the books Tanya sent me about Blinky Bill, or just because I was born with a love of Australia, but Koala's have always been my favorite animal, so to be up close and personal with one was unreal, as you can see from the amusing look on my face.

My new best friend :)

Here is Natalie petting a baby dingo. They are so cute...but apparently a grown up one ate some lady's baby a few years back or something ;) It was fun watching the girls with the animals--Eliza especially. The girl had no fear. She wanted to pet everything and feed them as well. I, on the other hand was too chicken to participate in such activities, especially when it came to the guys in the next picture.


We went over to the pelicans when they started feeding them, and the lady let anyone watching who wanted to, feed them. Of course the girls all jumped up to help, but there were a few things holding me back. 1) I don't like touching slimy things. The idea of holding the fish in my hands to begin with freaked me out a little. 2) Those are BEASTIE BIRDS! Take a look at those beaks! (bills? I don't know. I apparently wasn't paying very good attention) I was sure they could eat me in one swoop. Turns out, I actually had good reason to be hesitant as one nearly took Bonnie's arm off in the process of her trying to feed them, and she was left with a scratch on her hand to prove it.

No, but seriously. These guys will take your hands if you let them. 

And here is another Koala. How they sleep on those twigs like that I will never understand, but they are super cute aren't they? I probably have like 57 Koala pictures on my camera. I guess that makes me a nerd. Oh well.

I feel like if I become very rich they'll let me keep one as a pet, yes?

And this is a picture of that time Eliza was feeding the Wallabies, and they decided that her mix of grass and twigs just wasn't good enough for them, and began eating her Featherdale Passport. It was the funniest thing. I seriously wish I had been conscious enough to film it. "Hey! Hey! Give it back!" Priceless. I hope she kept that so she could scrapbook it. Memories.

This. Picture. Is. Priceless.

Here is me feeding the wallaby!! I don't let many people know this, but I'm not exactly what you would call an animal person. In fact, a lot of animals make me uncomfortable, so I was hesitant at first to feed this little guy. I know. Don't mock. But we was so cute! I could feel his teeth on my hands, and I didn't even care haha. Must be Natalie and Eliza rubbing off on me.

I mean, just look at him. How could I not give in?

So then I got to pet the super soft baby Dingo :) and talk to the cute Dingo guy with the pretty accent :D.

I have never wanted a puppy more

Featherdale was a blast. I'm so glad Sam took me! not only were childhood dreams fulfilled, but I tried all sorts of new Australianisms. For instance, potato "wedges" with sour cream and sweet chili. And we had "hot chips", which wasn't new, but it sounded new. They were really just fries.

Natalie and Bonnie petting the farm animals

Over that week I added to my list of Australian phrases. One of my favorites was when I first met Natalie and Eliza after they picked me up from the airport and Natalie says, "I love your fringe!" Well, I was wearing a scarf at the time, and I looked at her confused and said..."My scarf?" "No! Your fringe!" she says, pointing to my bangs. "Oh! My bangs!" Natalie, now the confused one herself asks, "Why would you call them bangs?" Made my day. 

The always frightening animal knows as the Emu

So after our lovely day at Featherdale, we went back to Sam's where Tanya met us for dinner, and I can't be sure, but I believe this night was Risotto, which I'd never actually experienced, and certainly not from a real life Italian household. Like I said, food was never lacking at Sam and Tony's. Luckily I was mostly over jet lag at this point, but I was still exhausted after our busy day, so we all went straight to sleep, excited for the next day of adventuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment