Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 12: Meet the Fisks

So I'm back. I apologize for the long break in between blogs. I have sold my soul to BYU for the time being and have only just know found time to get some more blogging in two months later, at one'o'clock in the morning. But back to business.

So this day was actually rather spectacular. We woke up in the Blue Mountains to the sound of Kookaburras, and just lounged around for a while (although Tanya had naturally been up for HOURS as she does). There was a bit of a decision to make as we had meant to meet the Fisks, one of the other families my dad taught and baptized, and became really close to, but for some reason we had just missed them. BUT, Tanya, being the intuitive person that she is had the feeling that we should go back to her house that morning and try to catch up with the Fisks and see what their plans for the next few days were. So we packed our stuff up, said our goodbyes to the family and went home.

We settled in a little bit, and if I remember correctly I don't even think I bothered to put my contacts on before we left. So we called up the Fisks, and miracle of miracles, they were shopping at that very moment at the Blacktown shopping center just minutes from Tanya's flat. So I rushed to make myself presentable, as I was not about to meet these people my dad had spoken so much about in the state I was in.


And thus began part two of our adventure that day. Tanya was funny. She kept saying how strange it was to be in a shopping center on a Sunday...there were definitely more people there than you would see in a Utah mall on a Sunday, not really surprising, but something I was definitely not used to. We were to meet the Fisks outside of Big W. I remember walking kind of gingerly up to this couple thinking...I'm PRETTY sure that's them, but if it's not, then this could turn into a really awkward moment. Luckily, they mostly recognized me and we shared a moment of...I believe I am the person you are looking for, and we started into the hugs and introductions and stories. The Fisks are LOVELY people. Tanya, naturally became best friends with Sandra because that's just what she does. She looks at people, and they think "This looks like a person I could bear my soul to." And I love her for it.

I should probably put a little explanation into this picture. I really don't have an adequate description of what happening other than that this gesture was supposed to mean something to my dad. It's like a secret mission thing, but I love this picture. I think it's because it makes me think of my dad as a missionary, and I can totally see him having jokes like this...it makes my connection to these great people all the more real.



Arthur told me all about his family, his grandson that they're raising, we talked a bit of politics, and we talked about their hometown of Bathurst. He also told me that if I plan on finding myself an Aussie boy that I should start by looking for a "bush boy" like himself. We talked about my dad a little bit, and of the church. We really talked about everything. It was a beautiful way to spend the afternoon. It really brought home to me just how far reaching the church is. 

I mean honestly, had it not been for the church and the impact it had on my dad's life, so much so that he decided to devote his life to the lord and to a people thousands of miles away, there's NO WAY I would have been standing in that shopping center on the other side of the world meeting these wonderful people. I have this connection with these people because of my dad's faith and, I believe because the Lord has decided that I should. It truly is amazing. Tanya says her favorite quote is that "There are no coicidences in the gospel of Jesus Christ." I happen to KNOW that this is so. Stayed tuned for day 18 which is further proof of this.

So this last picture is a picture of a belt buckle that Arthur gave to me...and it is one of my most treasured possessions. He won it in...I'm going to feel awful if I get this wrong, but I believe it was '89 when he won an International Archery Competition. It has his name engraved on the back, and gosh. It is just super cool. Before we left, he said that he wanted me to have it because I'm just like a granddaughter to him. I seriously almost started crying.


These are two very special people, and I am very glad to have them in my life :) Unfortunately, I've waited a long time to post, and I am beginning to forget things but I believe after leaving the Fisks house Tanya and I just went home and had a girl's night-watched movies, ate junk food and talked. Pretty good day I'd say. However, it did hit me around this time that my adventure in Australia was half way over. But man, did we make the most of the next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment